Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 31st: Albums titles featuring Amounts and Approximations: The No Numbers Edition

Pick #1
Album: The Big Lebowski soundtrack
Artist: various artists
Year: 1998
Whose pick: Danielle’s
Comments by Ben: iTunes crashed yet again, letting us only listen to a few tracks. Bummer.

Pick # 2
Album: All the Time
Artist: The Ropers
Year: 1995
Whose pick: Josh’s
Comments by Josh: Washington, DC area Janglepop. I had a boss whose friend was the bassist. Yep.
Comments by Ben: Again, iTunes failed, about 3 tracks in. Now switching to my iPod.

Pick # 3
Album: Isn’t Anything
Artist: My Bloody Valentine
Year: 1988
Whose pick: Ben’s
Comments by Ben: A preview of what was to come: Loveless.


Pick #4
Album: Full Sunken Breaks
Artist: Kid Spatula
Year: 2000
Whose pick: Josh’s
Comments by Josh: I wasn’t at all familiar with Kid Spatula previous to this selection. However, I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the breaks and blips this album contained. Consider me sunked.

Pick #5
Album: Double Figure
Artist: Plaid
Year: 2001
Whose pick: Ben’s
Comments by Ben: According to Wikipedia, “Plaid” comes from the Welsh word for “party”. Goodtimes. (And since our selection is limited to my iPod, we’re accepting “Double” as fulfilling this theme.)

Pick #6
Album: One Too Many Hearts
Artist: The Bird and the Bee
Year: 2008
Whose pick: Josh’s
Comments by Ben: One is a number, yes, but “Many” isn’t! So, hah!

Pick #7
Album: Totally Flossed Out
Artist: The Cool Kids
Year: 2008
Whose pick: Ben’s
Comments by Ben: Fun indie-ish hip-hop, and also one of the last things on my iPod that fits this theme. On to Josh's laptop

Pick #8
Album: The Complete Adventures of The Style Council [Disc 1]
Artist: The Style Council
Year: 1998
Whose pick: Josh’s
Comments by Josh: Paul Weller’s attempt to alienate the mod-punks with slick, Motown-influenced pop after dissolving The Jam. I played just a few tracks, as some of TSC’s experiments are a little dated. Nobody wants to hear white brits rap about Thatcher. Not even me.

Pick #9
Album: Teenager of the Year
Artist: Frank Black
Year: 1994
Whose pick: Ben’s
Comments by Ben: I’ve listened to this album only once before, and I thought it was okay. That feeling hasn't really changed too much. Those are my only thoughts.

Pick #10
Album: More Songs About Buildings And Food
Artist: Talking Heads
Year: 1978
Whose pick: Josh’s
Comments by Tina Weymouth: “When we were making this album I remembered this stupid discussion we had about titles for the last album. At that time I said, 'What are we gonna call an album that's just about buildings and food?' And Chris said, 'You call it more songs about buildings and food.’”

No comments: